Harrison Twp, Ross Co, OH. Local history recorded:
"David Denny, a Virginian, came here in 1800 and bought section 10 and fractional section 9. His brother, James, located. here in 1806 and another brother came about the same time.
Upon the erection of the township, an election was ordered to be held on the 23rd of June, 1810, at the house of Hugh Creighton, who became one of the first justices of the peace. James Denny was also an early justice of the peace, probably .the first one elected. All the early records of the township are either lost or destroyed.
The first marriage in the township that can. be recalled was that of John Lewin and Salome Clutter, both of whom came from Virginia with William Renick. They were married in 1810 by Squire James Denny.
At the appraisal of James' estate on 1/15/1816, listed among the
creditors were: Margaret Denny owing the estate $97.12, Ann Denny
owed $9.18 3/4, and Hannah Denny owed $1.25. The complete listing of
assets, including personal property, and bills to be paid, etc,
covered 66 pages. Henry Coonrod was the Justice of the Peach who
swore to the estate settlement on 10/21/1816.