Harrison Twp, Ross Co, OH. Recorded in local history is: "David Denny, a Virginian, came here in 1800 and bought section 10 and fractional section 9. His brother, James, located. here in 1806 and another brother came about the same time."
Has a history that spans a period of over 100 years. The town was laid out in 1803 by David Denny, who employed Gen. James Denny, later of Circleville, to make the survey. The plat embraced 40 acres of land in the southeast part of section 10 and was divided into 80 lots. The hopes of its founder, that South Bloomfield would become the county seat, failed of realization. During the early years of its history it was a place of some importance, being on the regular line of the stage-coaches, running between Chillicothe and Columbus. With the withdrawal of the stage coaches, the town subsided into a fairly quiet existence. It has lacked adequate transportation facilities; the Ohio Canal was built a mile to the east, and the Norfolk & Western steam road and the Scioto Valley traction line were constructed two miles to the east.
David went west and engaged in boat building. He became a captain of a river packet.
This probably the same David Denny who went to New Orleans with David Van Gundy and never went back to OH.