Place, Rowland, was living in Virginia as early as 1671, when he owned land in Charles City and near the falls of James river in Henrico county. It was on Oct. 9, 1675, that he was first sworn to the council and he continued to serve for several years. He was present as a member in March, 1678, but soon afterwards went to England, evidently with the intention of only making a visit there, though he afterwards seems to have changed his mind, for he never after returned to Virginia. William Sherwood, writing to Secretary Williamson, July 1, 1678, says that his letter will be carried by "Col. Rowland Place, a member of the council," who can give "an ample account of matters in Virginia/' and, on July 10, 1678, Gov. Lord Culpeper wrote a letter which he stated he would confide to Col. Place, who had been an eye witness of many of the events of chief interest which had lately occurred in the colony. On Dec. 13, 1678, Francis Moryson wrote to William Blathwayt that he had "advice" that Col. Place had lately arrived in England from Virginia, and that the colonel was "one of the Council and a very honest gentleman." On March 14, 1678-79, the King directed that Place should be continued in the council, but on May 20 Capt. Rudge, of the ship "'Hopewell' just come from Virginia," appeared before the committee of trade and plantations, and stated, among other things, that the Indians had recently killed several people and totally ruined the plantation of Col. Place, who was in England. Perhaps it was this news that caused Place to linger abroad. He was included in the commission of councillors under Lord Culpeper, read on May 1o, 1680, but still did not return to Virginia, and on Dec. 12, 1681, Gov. Culpeper wrote that he had appointed a councillor "in the room of Col. Rowland Place," who was "living in England." He was the son of Francis Place, the celebrated painter of York, and Ann Williamson, his wife. He married Priscilla, daughter of Sir John Brookes, of Norton, county York, baronet. He was born 1642 and died 1713 (see "Familire Minorum Gentium," vol. iii, p. 921).