From the biography of son-in-law Abraham Cartlich:
The second and present wife of Rev. Abraham Cartlich, was Miss Jane Van Gundy, of Ross county, whom he married in 1854. Her father was Rev. John Van Gundy, who labored as a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church for thirty years, and after removal from Ross county, Ohio, where he possessed large landed estates, died in Atchison county, Missouri. He settled in Ohio in 1806, and served in the War of 1812. Her grand-father was also named John Van Gundy. Her mother's name was Margaret Search, whose father was Thomas Search. Margaret died on one of her husband's farms near Chillicothe, in 1833, when Jane was in her seventh year. Her brothers, all of whom are prosperous, are Jonas, St. Joseph's, Missouri; and James, John, William and Samuel, near Milton, Atchison county, Missouri. Tradition, which seems well founded, ascribed to the ancestry of this Van Gundy family close official relations to the Crown of Prussia, and a rupture of these relations which sent it to Pennsylvania, and thence to Ohio.
Residences & events:
1812 If John served in the War of 1812 as the above paragraph says, he would have been only 12 years old. Is his birth date of 1799 incorrect? There is a record of John Vangundy in 2 Regiment (Ferguson's) of Ohio Militia, inducted and discharged as a private. In the same regiment were Benjamin and Cornelius.
1830 Springfield, Ross Co, OH. The census taker found him living just down the road from his father. In his house were 1 male under 5 years of age, 2 at 5-10, John was 30-40, 1 female at 5-10, and 1 aged 20-30. Between him and his father were William "Sarch " and cousin John Zuck.
1840 Same place. That year at census time John was 40-50 and his family consisted of 1 male under 5, 3 at 10-15, 1 female under 5, 1 was 15-20, and 1 at 30-40.
9/10/1850 Still there. In that census John was one of the biggest land holders of the time with $15,000 in real estate. He was 51 years old and Leah was 44. They had a large family: Jonas, 28; June (Jane), 25; John, 21; Margaret, 14; Lawrence (?), 11; Sarah, 7; Rachel, 3; and William, 1/12. Living with them were John Bower, 19, laborer, and Mary Ring, also 19, no occupation. Neighbors were Cutrights and Remleys.
Abt 1851 Nodaway Co, MO. Most of his family moved west with him.
Irish Grove (Clark Township):
"Milton, originally Irish Grove, a name by which it is (1882) still known, is located on the northwest quarter of Sec. 9, Twp. 63 N, R. 40 W, in Clark Township. For many years Irish Grove was a regular station on the great stage and daily mail route between St. Joseph and Council Bluffs, Iowa...The locality was originally settled by an enterprising class of citizens from Ireland, among whom were Martin Murphy, Sr., and his son Martin. A post-office kept by Harvey Williams, at his residence on a farm adjoining the present town site of Milton, was established as early as 1850, under the name of Irish Grove. Williams afterwards kept a store in this house...however William R. Graves...opened at Irish Grove a store in which he sold goods for a period of two or three years. He was thus the first merchant to do business in the place...
About 1840 Dr. William Mann put up a water power saw and grist mill...on the waters of Big Tarkio Creek. Eventually the mill was acquired by John Van Gundy & Company..."
(--History of Holt and Atchison Counties, pp. 723, 724.)
1859 Atchison Co, MO. He helped organize the Methodist Episcopal Church and among the charter members were: John, Leah, M A Van Gundy, S Van gundy and M H Van Gundy.
6/1/1860 Irish Grove, Clark Twp, Atchison Co, MO. That year the census said John was 61, a farmer, and he had a large amount of property, $15,000/15,000. Wife Lea, was 57 and living with them were children: Sarah, 16; Rachel, 12; William, 10; Margaret Little, 23; and her husband Nelson, 29, and their daughter Florence, 3. Little families lived on both sides of them.
According to Bliss Van Gundy, of the now defunct Van Gundy Assoc, with the help of Mrs Bill W Woodward:
Abt 1861 John bought a mill which had been in operation for several years on the Big Tarkio Creek.
Abt 1863-1864 VanGundy and Co built a water power flour mill near the current mill at a cost of $15,000.
1866 A saw mill was added.
11/19/1867 He and Leah laid out the town of Milton.
1870 A plat of VanGundy and Co's addition to the town was filed with the Circuit Clerk.
From the Directory of Towns.... of Atchison Co, MO:
"Milton was laid out by John Van Gundy, Sr., and wife. On the 20th of November, 1870, there was filed in the circuit clerk's office of Atchison County, a plat of Van Gundy & Company's addition to the town of Milton in the northwest quarter of the northeast quarter of Sec. 9, Twp. 63 N, R. 30 W. On the establishment of the town in 1867, Irish Grove post-office was moved from its location about a fourth of a mile distant, and its name changed to Milton, that of the new town, in which it was located."
1870 Clark Twp, near Rockport, Atchison Co, MO. Is it this John living there at age 72 with a large estate worth $18,000/6000? If so, Leah was recorded as Elizabeth, 61, and living with them were son William, 20, 13 year old Laura (probably Florence) Little, and 20 year old Nelson Ady. In the same area was daughter Rachel Williams and family.
Spring 1874 His and son Samuel were involved in organization of the Irish Grove Masonic Lodge, completing a frame building at a cost of $3300 to house the 46 members. John died a few months later but his name was included on the charter dated 10/16/1874.