She had an intersting background, but not much luck in love, having the distinction of marrying 3 successive rectors of Hungar’s parish, 2 of whom abandoned her.
Ann and her sister, Verlinda, were daughters of Capt. Thomas Graves, one of the original adventurers of the Jamestown Colony, and both born in Accomack county, Va. Verlinda was married to the Governor of Maryland.
Ann married, before July 10, 1637, the Rev. William Cotton, who, on that date patented land in right of his wife Ann Graves. Rev. Cotton, whose mother resided at Bunbury, Cheshire, England was the first minister of Hungars parish, the first formally organized church on the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay. He left a will of August 1640, naming "Brethrin-n law Capt. William Stone" and another as overseers of his estate.
Ann then married, by 1642, the Rev. Nathaniel Eaton, who came to Virginia from Massachusetts, where, in 1638, he had become the first master of the school that later became Harvard University. He had been born England in 1609, and came to Massachusetts in 1638. His father had been a clergyman in England, and his brother was the respected first Governor of the New Haven Colony. Governor Winthrop of New York mentions in his journal that Eaton, after he went to Virginia, was a "drunken preacher." In 1642, he assigned land at Hungars Creek due him by right of intermarriage with the ""widdowe and relict of William Cotton, Clerke", (often a misspelling for the word cleric). By 1646 Eaton had left the colony, deserting his wife, and returned to England, where he lived privately until the restoration of King Charles II. Conforming to the ceremonies of the Church of England, he was fixed at Biddlefield, where he became a bitter persecutor of the Dissenters, and died in prison for debt. In June of 1657 Ann married the Reverend Doughty, Her father was one of the original adventurers of Jamestown, VA.