"J. N. CHILCOTE was born in Crawford County, Ohio, September 19, 1846. He is one of twelve children born to Heathcote and Hannah (McClaire) Chilcote. Of this family, five are living in Williams County, His father is a miller, at present owning a grist-mill in Hillsdale County, Mich., where he resides. Our subject is also a miller, having worked for his father until he was twenty-one years old, when he went to work in Orangeville, De Kalb Co., Ind., continuing in this and other mills until 1875. In 1876, in partnership with Thomas Seeley, he secured a patent for a handle lathe. He then turned his attention to store-keeping and saw-milling, and opened the first store in the village of Blakeslee, besides erecting the first two buildings ; he is now running a circular-saw mill in that place, also furnishes ties and railroad supplies to the Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific Railway, and getting out different varieties of lumber for the general trade. He was married September 20, 1868, to Eliza B. Gillis, of Edgerton, Ohio. His family numbers five: Anna A., William F., George E., Daisy J. and Frances E. Mrs. Chilcote is a member of the Presbyterian Church at Edgerton. Mr. Chilcote served during the recent war from February, 1864, until the close, in Company K, Forty-Fourth Indiana Volunteers ; he was stationed in Tennegsee, and under Gen. Steedman."
He must have moved to William Co, OH at some point as his name appears in that history:
The following is the list of post offices that have been established within the present geographical limits of Williams County, with named of first Postmaster, and date of establishment and appointment:....John N. Chilcote, May 4, 1880