PERRY C. CHILCOTE, proprietor of the "Chilcote House" at West Millgrove, is one of the best known landlords in Wood county, and his hotel stands in the front rank of the hostelries in' the county. " Perry," as he is familiarly called, is one of the most accommodating hosts to be found anywhere, and seems to consider it a pleasure to do a service for a guest. His establishment is complete in every respect, and his good wife, in her turn, leaves nothing undone to make it a pleasant, comfortable home for the weary traveler.
Mr. Chilcote was born February 18, 1841, in Perry township, Wood county, son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Jones) Chilcote. When he was five years old his father was permanently injured. A horse ran away with him, dragging him around a twenty-acre field largely covered with logs and, stumps, and fracturing his skull in such a manner that the bone rested upon the brain. He never recovered from the effect of the accident, and his restoration to life was due to the prompt action of his son, James, who, as soon as the horse was caught, removed the dirt quickly from his father's mouth and nostrils, and breathed into his lungs the breath of life'! The accident so completely exhausted Mr. Chilcote that he was unconscious for several days. He was ever afterward tenderly cared for by his wife, to whom this was no small burden, as she had at that time six children needing her constant attention. Soon after this event the family moved to Seneca county, Ohio, where Perry, when eight years old, went to work for his uncle, Gideon Jones, for one shilling per day. When eleven years old he began work on a farm belonging to Israel Nestlerode, here receiving four dollars per month, and he lived with various other farmers, being at home only a small portion of his time, but giving most of his earnings to his parents. He was a strong, robust boy, and physically much superior to the average man. When the Civil war broke; out he was working for R. W. Kelly, who made him a most liberal offer : he would give him the use of his best team and all the land that he could farm, bear all the expenses, and allow Mr. Chilcote one-third of all the crops he could raise, telling him he would I see him through." But this was no inducement to Perry. He dropped the plow and seized his gun, and on August 15, 1861, was enrolled in Company H, 49th Regiment, O. V. I., and marched away to defend the stars and stripes. He took part in some of the most famous battles of the war, among them those of Stone River, Corinth, Shiloh and Chickamauga. At the latter place he was taken prisoner, and was held as such just fourteen months, during that time seeing terrible hardships in the Rebel prisons of Belle Isle, Richmond, Danville and Andersonville. On November 20, 1864, he was exchanged, and was taken by a vessel from Savannah, Ga., to the parole camp at Annapolis, where he was paroled, after which he returned to Ohio, here receiving his final discharge at Columbus, on January 21, 1865.
The marriage of Mr. Chilcote and Miss Martha J. Harts took place in Montgomery township, January 5, 1867. Mrs. Chilcote was born in Cumberland county, Penn., April 17, 1851, and is the daughter of Conrad and Eliza (McMillen) Harts, who came to Wood county when their daughter was two years old. No children have ever been born to this union. For a short time after his marriage Mr. Chilcote rented a small farm in Montgomery township, and later removed to West Millgrove, where he acted as fireman and engineer in the gristmill of Col. Miles, having learned this business with his brother James. From West Miligrove he went
634 - WOOD COUNTY, OHIO.
onto the home farm in Section 26, Perry township, remaining there a year, when he returned to his former home and worked at teaming and farming. He also for several years carried on a shingle factory in company with his brother' Marcus D.
On April 21, 1877, Mr. Chilcote assumed the management of the hotel known as the " Millgrove House," which had been conducted by William McCormick. For this property he traded his house and lot in Millgrove, and a balance, which left him over a thousand dollars in debt. The name of the hotel was afterward changed to that of the "Chilcote House," which is now one of the most widely known and popular public houses in northern Ohio. Besides this property Mr. Chilcote owns a house and lot in West Millgrove, and is comfortably fixed financially. He is one of the stanchest Republicans in the county, and an active worker in the interests of his party. He has served as constable of the township. For over twenty-five years he has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and has been a class-leader and superintendent of the Sunday-school. At present he is acting as steward. His wife, who is a most kind-hearted and excellent woman, is also a consistent Methodist. Mr. Chilcote is a member of Conley Post, G. A. R., at West Millgrove.
Military records say:
Perry C. Chilcote, H, 49, en. Aug.,'61, cap. Sept. 20,'63, at battle of Chickamauga, Ga., and confined in Rebel prisons at Richmond, Danville and Andersonville, ex. Nov. 20, '64, m. o. Jan., '65.