The first record found of Anthony Gholson Sr. (Golson, Gholston, Golsan) is his purchase of 200 acres on the south side Holloday Swamp, Saint Geroge Parish, Spotsylvania County, VA in 1725. He received a 1000 acre land grant on Terrys Run on Sept. 28, 1728. His sons, Anthony Jr. & William each received 500 acres at the same time.
Real estate transfers involving Anthony Gholson included: 6 July 1725, James Taylor of Drysdale Par., King and Queen Co., Gentl., to Anthony Gholstone of St. Geo. Par, Spts. Co., 50 lbs tobacco, 200 acres on ye south side of Holloday's Swamp, St. Geo. Par., Spts. Co. Witnessed by W. Russell, Richd. Bayley and Saml. Loyd. 28 September 1734, Anthony X of Spts. Co. to Wm. Gaines of King and Queen Co., 23 pounds curr. 442.5 acres in St. Geo. Par., Spts. Co. Part of patent granted Gholson 28 Sept. 1728. Witnessed by Joseph Thomas, Charles Stevens, Jno. Cook. Jane, wife of Anthony Gholson, relinquished dower right. 28 September 1734, Anthony Gholson of Spts. Co. to James Jones of Caroline, 27 pounds curr, 442.5 acres in St. Geo. Par. Part of patent granted to Gholson 28 September 1728. Witnessed by Joseph Thomas, Charles Stevens and Jno. Cook. Jane Gholson relinquished dower right. 22 February 1739, Anthony Gholstone of Spts. Co. and Jane, his wife, to Zachary Lewis of same county, 30 pounds curr. for 200 acres in Spts. Co. on south side of Holliday's Swamp, part of the patent granted to James Taylor, Gent., decd. 21 July 1722 and conveyed by sd. Taylor to sd. Gholstone by deeds 6 July 1725. Witnessed by Joseph Thomas, Charles Barrett, John Holloday and John Bowles. 1 July 1740, John Chew and Margaret, his wife, of St. Geo. Par., Spts. Co., to Anthony Gholstone of same Par. and County, 40 pounds curr. for 400 acres in Spts. Co.. Witnessed by John Waller, Wm. Waller and M. Battaley. 2 October 1744, Anthony X Gholson and Jane, his wife, of St. Geo. Par., Spts. Co., to William Pollard of St. Thomas Par., Orange Co., 55 pounds curr. for 120 acres, part of the tract whereon sd. Anthony lives, formerly bought of John Chew. Witnessed by Edwd. Herndon, A. Foster, Edmd Foster. 6 November 1744, William Gains of St. Thomas Par., Orange Co. and Isbell, his wife, to Joseph Hawkins of St. Geo. Par., Spts. Co., 7 pounds curr. and 2600 lbs of tobacco for 442.5 acres in St. Geo. Par., Spts. Co., part of a tract granted to Anthony Gholson 28 September 1728 by pat. James Mills, James X Jones, Jos. Collins and William Collins were witnesses. 4 April 1761, Anthony Gholstone of St. Geo. Par., Spts. Co., to Joseph Hawkins, junr., of same Par. and Co., 60 pounds curr. for 280 acres in Spts. Co. Witnessed by Lark. Chew, George Stubblefield, Willm. Waller, Benjamin Winslow.
Anthony Gholdson was overseer of road Oct 7 1727 in Spotsylvania Co. VA Ct. OR. Bk. p. 352 Anthony Sued Joseph Hawkins for a debt, 1729, p. 337 Anthony Gholson p. 392 [1730-38] Tilley, a negro girl belonging ot Anthony Golston is adjudged to be 14 years of age...and Tom a negro boy belonging to said Golston is 16 yrs of age. In bk 1738-39 his negro boy Daniel is adjudged to be 10 years old
23 July 1763, Anthony signed a deed of gift conveying to his son William a Negro man named Tom, a Negro boy named Little Tom and a feather bed and its furniture; to Anthony Tholson a Negro man named Bob and a Negro boy named Cupit and a feather bed and its furniture; to his daughter, Eliza. Rice a Negro woman named Venus, a Negro girl named Mary; to daughter Lucy Step, he lent a Negro woman named Philles and a Negro girl named Creece, to be for Lucy's use for her lifetime and then they and their increase to be divided among Lucy's children, also to Lucy a feather bed and its furniture; and to granddaughter Jane Pollard a Negro girl named Sarah. The deed was witnessed by Robt. Sharman, William Cave and Benjamin Cave and was proved in Orange County court 28 July 1763.
8 August 1763, Anthony signed a deed giving to son Jon Gholson a lot of land bought from Nathaniel Geer, a Negro wench named Judy, a Negro boy named Ben, all of his horses and cattle and all other remainder of his estate with the transfer to take place after the death of Anthony and Jane. The deed was witnessed by Roger Bell, John Oakes and Ambrose Smith and was proven in court 25 August 1763.